Create a New Label (Folder)
- Open your Wayne Gmail account.
- In the list to the left, click on "Create new label". If you cannot see this menu item, click on "More labels" first.
- Enter a name for the new label. You can also nest the new label under (in) another label if you'd like.
- Click "Create".
- Your label should appear in the list on the left side of the screen.
- To apply a label to a message, simply click and drag it to the label. It will be added to the label and automatically archived (removed from the Inbox)
- You can also check the box in front of multiple email messages to move them all to a certain label. Then click the "Move to" button at the top of the page.
- Select the appropriate label and all of the messages will be moved.
Remove a Label
- Either open or check the box before a message in the list of messages in a particular label. You can select multiple message in the list to remove.
- Click the "Labels" button at the top of the page.
- Deselect the label you would like to remove.
- Click "Apply" at the bottom of the menu.
The term "Archiving" is used for messages that have been removed from the Inbox. In the directions above, when you used the "Move to" button to move a message to a label, the message actually had the label applied to it and the message was archived. This is how it seems like the message has been moved to the label or folder.
If you select a message and use the "Labels" button, the message is simply labeled with that particular label and still remains in the Inbox. If you'd like the message to be removed from the Inbox but stay in the Label, right click on the message and click "Archive". The message will be removed from the Inbox but will still be found in the label to the left.